This is a great side to have at your picnic or barbecue!
Sweetcorn is full of fibre which helps us reach our needed 30g a day! It also provides us with some B vitamins which are important for releasing energy from food and creating red blood cells that carry oxygen around the body.
Sweetcorn is also full of carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin which can also be found in our eyes! This makes sweetcorn great for eye health.
These fritters are low in salt which is great, as too much salt can lead to increased blood pressure.
Makes 12 servings
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 x 200g can of sweetcorn, drained
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- 80g plain flour
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 lime, juiced
- Small bunch of coriander, chopped.
Drain one can of sweetcorn and place in a food processor with spring onions, plain flour, paprika, coriander, lime juice and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Blend to form a chunky mixture.
Stir in the other can of drained sweetcorn to the mixture.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the mixture to the pan and smooth out with a spoon. Cook each fritter for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Turn out onto kitchen roll to remove any excess oil.
Serve straight away or wait to cool then store in the fridge for the next day!
- If the fritters are cooking a bit too quickly, try reducing the heat to make sure they are cooked through without burning.
- You can swap the plain flour for an oat flour to make the fritters gluten free!
- Cook the fritters in batches, rather than one at a time to keep it simple.