What happens next
The registrar will give you two documents:
A CERTIFICATE FOR BURIAL OR CREMATION
(In England and Wales is known as the GREEN FORM)
(In Scotland this is known as FORM 14)
(In Northern Ireland, this is known as FORM GRO21)
This form represents permission for an application for a cremation or for a burial to be made. This form should be given to the funeral director.
A CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION OF DEATH
(In England and Wales this is known as FORM BD8 (more commonly known as the death certificate)).
(In Scotland, this is known as FORM 334/S1).
(In Northern Ireland, this is known as FORM 36/BD8).
(A death certificate is a document that certifies what has been written in the death register).
The certificate is for state benefit claims relating to the state pension and other benefits of the deceased person.
The certificate contains information on the reverse to help guide you through what you need to do next and where applicable, may require you to complete the certificate. You’ll need to contact whichever of following that are applicable the Pensions Service or Jobcentre Plus or your local Social Security Office.
Other organisations you may need to inform about a death
- Mortgage provider, the land registry, Council Housing Association
- Banks and/or building societies, loan companies
- Employer or Trade Union
- Insurance companies (house, home, pets insurance, life insurance for example)
- Personal or occupational pension scheme providers
- Utility companies; phone, gas electric, water etc.
- GP, optician, dentist and any other medical care providers
- Social Services (about the provision of care packages the deceased was receiving)
- NHS (about the provision of wheelchairs, hearing aids or artificial limbs etc.)
- The Post Office for redirection of the deceased’s mail.
There’s also a facility called the Bereavement Register, which helps stop unsolicited mail going to the deceased’s address. All you need to do is register the name and address of the deceased. Tel: 0800 082 1230 (this is a 24 hour automated registration service).